FreeBSD -STABLE servers repeatedly crashing

Goran Gajic ggajic at sbb.co.yu
Tue Jun 28 20:33:45 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have something like 20 boxes (Dell Power Edge 370, Fujitsu-Siemens
PRIMERGY 200 and couple of dual AMD64 Fujitsu-Siemens) servers running
5.4-STABLE. So far, only machine that I have experienced freezing and was
unable to get droped into KDB or to get any sort of vmcore was Dell Power
Edge 1600SC (dual Xeon 2.4GHz with 4Gb). I have noticed that since it was
running squid-2.5 linked to pthread when I have switched to oops which was
compiled on 5.2.1 and linked to libc_r that machine stoped crashing (HTT
disabled, IPFILTER also disabled configuration GENERIC). However, I have
decided to experiment and upgraded to 6.0-CURRENT and so far I haven't
experienced any problems - except one panic caused by linux.ko and running
edonkeyclc for linux (it was just experiment to see if it will work on
6.0-CURRENT). I suppose that there might be some problems related to SMP
on 5.4 and I don't know what for are you using problematic servers and I
don't know if it is smart to use 6.0-CURRENT but so far I have positive
experince with it on problematic server and would rather stay with FBSD
then switching to NetBSD or OpenBSD.

Regards,
gg.