FreeBSD -STABLE servers repeatedly crashing

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Jun 28 18:35:52 GMT 2005

> Matt,
>
> Sadly the FreeBSD guys will need more info before a fix is possible. I would
> suggest you revert back to FreeBSD 5.3, if you can. Even if you get a patch
> you'd want to do a whole lot of regression testing before putting it in
> production as it might break something else.

Gary,

Do you know what the chances are that this problem I'm experiencing is SMP
related?  I don't mind turning off SMP, and I guess I could for now to see
if that runs stable.  Otherwise, I think we're going to switch to OpenBSD,
because these crashes are occuring so frequently (twice a day)... and as
far as the patch and regression testing, if someone sent me a patch right
now I would put it on the server, because the server already crashes
daily, so a faulty patch wouldn't change much :-(.

I appreciate your response.  I'm going to do a little more research today
before i make my decision on a platform switch.

-Matt