FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Tue Jun 28 17:17:41 GMT 2005

# paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu / 2005-06-28 13:03:04 -0400:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 18:39 +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> My apologies if it wasn't clear, but I was responding to your apparent
> assertion that location does not matter in disk performance benchmarks.

    We seem to have a misunderstaning, I didn't mean anything like that.

> >     I just wish people here were less defensive, that's all.
>
> What you see as being defensive I see as being rigorous.  If someone is
> making a claim based upon a performance benchmark, people will quiz the
> person conducting the benchmark to ascertain exactly how it has been
> undertaken.  To put any stock in a benchmark result, it is important to
> be able to convince yourself it is a meaningful result.  Well, at least
> most people I've encountered believe that to be the case.

    Say I install FreeBSD (using default partitions), install MySQL from
    a package on the CD, run a stress test, collect numbers, then
    repeat the process with a Linux installed over the previous FreeBSD
    installation, and find out that FreeBSD allows the MySQL server
    process 1/3 queries less, what (if anything) will be wrong in my
    claim that MySQL/FreeBSD is slower than MySQL/Linux?

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.