libstdc++ version bump.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 28 16:47:05 GMT 2005

No, it's not that.  It's just that when we decided to upgrade gcc/g++
in the 5.2.1 era someone didn't bump the library version for
libstdc++.

It would have been a two second change, but instead it appears that
it was decided that early adopters REALLY needed to be put in their
place for being stupid enough... to be early adopters.

So the library wasn't bumped and people are stuck having to do
source upgrades from 5.2.1->5.3+ instead of the right thing.

There's not much choice at this point because the decision was made
so long ago, if we did a bump now, we'd basically lose a lot of
package compatibility between 5.3+ and 6.x.  (Oh dear, losing
package compat between current (where things are supposed to
break) and 5.x... )

Although the relative worth of that versus actually doing
the right thing and giving people stuck with 5.2.1 and prior
room to breath is something that is very debatable.

-Alfred