FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Tue Jun 28 13:16:12 GMT 2005

Michael Schuh wrote:
> # cd /; /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1024k of=zerofile;
> I would only compare the performace from 2 Versions of FreeBSD, while
> i mean that the performance from RELENG_5 is more slower than under
> GENTOO and it is double as slow as under RELENG_4.

Let me guess: Intel ICH5 or 6300ESB south bridge and ATA disk (Seagate
Barracuda 7200.7)?

There is something wrong in the RELENG_5 ATA driver that makes this
combination perform really slow on writes (~16MB/s). When connecting a
nearly identical SATA drive to the machine it performs as expected with
~55MB/s sequential writes.

RELENG_4 performs as expected and I think ATA mkIII in CURRENT also works.

/Martin