FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Jun 28 09:35:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:51, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>     No you don't. You want to make a side-by-side comparison
>     of two products, and if one of them underperforms, it just
>     underperforms. You cannot use a poor location selection
>     strategy in the driver as an excuse for poor operation.

Why not?
It's not a side-by-side comparison if the underlying hardware is different..

I don't think ascribing ALL the poor performance to being on the wrong part of
the disk is putting your head in the sand, but it DOES make a difference.

>     In all honesty, I'm getting somewhat irritated by all the
>     "dd is meaningless performance measurement tool, use something
>     real" and similar arguments: dd is a real command for real
>     work, and if it shows abysmal performance of sequential writes,
>     then there's a problem.

dd is a useful start, but you shouldn't read too much into the results since,
in general, dd doesn't reflect real world usage patterns.

There are some people who seem to want to ignore the results and shoot them
down with bland assertions about how poorly the tests have been run. There
are also people doing crappy tests, however there IS a middle ground where I
think most reasonable people are sitting - they want decent tests, and have a
good attitude to fixing the problems.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum