SATA vs SCSI ...

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Mon Jun 27 06:29:12 GMT 2005

Hi!

> As an result: If you need to have FAST disk subsystem - buy SCSI. If you need
> large storage or you don't want to pay to much money - buy SATA.

Seconded.

SATA offers larger capacity per buck. If price/performance
is important, I'd seriously consider the ICP SATA cards.

Another note: if you need the fastest disk subsystem you can buy,
don't even think about implementing RAID5. Go for 1+0 instead.
And buy an ICP card ;-)

Another big plus for SCSI: unattended "auto" hot plug.
If you have a RAID1+0 with 6 disks and without a hot spare
(as we do - we needed "fast" and "as much as we can cram in the box")
and if your hot plug backplane ist "SAFE-TE" compliant (another
one of those beloved standards), then the cleaning staff could
change a broken disk drive. The ICP card will automatically start
the necessary rebuild if you exchange a broken disk with a factory
new one. This could be important if you need 24x7 and don't have
a qualified operator on site all the time.
No need to start the RAID config utility.

HTH,

Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100