syslogd: Logging subprocess ... exited with status 126

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 26 14:20:30 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 12:16 +0300, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 June 2005 at  9:20:54 +0100, David Malone wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:05:17AM +0300, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> > > local3.info           | /var/run/nmd.log
> >
> > > syslogd: Logging subprocess s 1358 ( /var/run/nmd.log) exited with status 126.
> >
> > If you say "| /var/run/nmd.log" it means "run the program
> > /var/run/nmd.log and feed the log messages to stdin of that program".
> > I'm guessing that /var/run/nmd.log is a logfile and not a program,
> > thus you're getting an error because it is not executable.

> Thanks, David for fast response.
> It's not a simple log file, but FIFO and I thought that this should working.

Nope, a FIFO is still not an executable.  If you can't just list the
FIFO as a file, maybe try "| cat >/var/run/nmd.log" ?

Alternately, you should do away with the FIFO entirely and invoke the
program that you currently have on the read end of the FIFO in
syslog.conf.

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon univ.         KF8NH