syslogd: Logging subprocess ... exited with status 126

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jun 26 09:24:13 GMT 2005

> It's not a simple log file, but FIFO and I thought that this should working.
> If I misunderstood something is there any chance to send syslog output to FIFO
> file or pipe, because the query-log from named that I'm going to handle is
> very extensive.

If I remember correctly, to send data to a FIFO, you can specify
the FIFO as a regular file in /etc/syslogd.conf. However, you will
have to be careful to make sure that there is a program reading the
FIFO at all times, if you are to avoid syslogd getting confused.

Instead of using a named FIFO, you can directly run your log handling
program by using the pipe in syslogd.conf, so if your program to
handle messages is in /usr/local/libexec/log_crunch.pl you can then
use the "| /usr/local/libexec/log_crunch.pl" in syslogd.conf.

	David.