cvsup from 4.11-RELEASE to 4.11-RELEASE-p1 28,000 errors

Andreas Rudisch cyb. at gmx.net
Sat Jun 25 09:22:19 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 23:43 -0700, Leland wrote:
> I have got to be doing someting wrong, it is right in front of me and I just
> don't seel it.
> Hope someone can help, thanks.
>
> >From a clean install of 4.11-RELEASE with All Distributions,
> cvsup-without-gui was then installed from ports.
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 cvs-supfile  will produce src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_4_11
> with 8310752 bytes
> and more than 28,000 lines starting with "C src/...."
>
> Here is my cvs-supfile:
> *default host=cvsup9.us.FreeBSD.org
> *default tag=RELENG_4_11
> *default date=2005.03.28.15.57.00
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all
> doc-all
> cvsroot-all

Do not mix ports and source, it is always better to use two seperated
supfiles for each. Take a look in here:

  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/

I am not sure why you want to use a date. If you only want to update to
the security branch of FreeBSD 4.11 you do not need it.

Here as an example my supfiles for 5.4 to give you an idea.

ports-supfile:

*default host=cvsup.no.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

security-supfile:

#cvsupfile for 5.4-security
*default host=cvsup.no.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

The tag is important, for ports it is always '.', which means you will
always get the latest version. If you use this tag for the source tree
too, then you will end up getting the latest -CURRENT version, the
development branch.

The -STABLE branch only uses the release number, e.g. RELENG_4 would be
FreeBSD 4-STABLE. The -SECURITY branch, you want to get, has an
additional number added, RELENG_4_11.

For further information you should read this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Andreas

--
GnuPG key  : 0xD25FCC81  |  http://cyb.websimplex.de/pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: D182 6F22 7EEC DD4C 0F6E  564C 691B 0372 D25F CC81