4.x binaries on a 5.x machine ...

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:14:48 GMT 2005

On 6/21/05, Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > This option from the GENERIC kernel config in 5.4 would seem to suggest
> > that it would work.... though I haven't tried it myself.
> >
> > options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
>
> ....And install the 'compat 4.x' distribution onto your 5,x boxes!

I don't believe it would be neccessary to install the 'compat 4.x'
libraries on the 5.x host box, as those libraries are already in the
jailed 4.x environment.

If you were to upgrade the jailed 4.x environment to 5.x, then you
would need to add the 'compat 4.x' libraries until you update all the
ports in the jailed environment.

Scot