rebooting problem

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Jun 19 19:22:05 GMT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:19:41 +0200
"GMane" <riccardo.tonon at srlabs.it> wrote:

> Hi Cian,
>
> "Cian Hughes" <cianlists at cian.ws> wrote in message
> news:D3A42022-823A-47DB-9EA3-2FC4B49067FA at cian.ws...
> > Do you also have a hanging problem if you shutdown with `shutdown -
> > p now`?
>
>   No, the problem it's only with the reboot command.
>
> > Are you using ACPI?
> > Have you ensured you are using the latest BIOS for you system?
>
>    I turned off the ACPI from the BIOS. (but from the dmesg it seems
> on)

You need to add a line to /boot/device.hints to disable acpi:

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

FWIW, I've been seeing the same problem on both my 32-bit Athlon box
and on my Athlon 64, both running 5.4-STABLE.

One thing I've discovered is that the machine will reboot properly if
booted in single-user mode.  It appears to be only a problem when
shutting down from multi-user mode.  The shutdown process gets as far
as outputting the "Uptime:" line, and then just hangs.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"