re0 "no carrier" problem - Patches found in archives didn't work.

Marcin Koziej creep at daedalus.desk.pl
Sun Jun 19 11:16:03 GMT 2005

[04:12 19-06-2005] Tom Pepper <tom at blorp.com>
> this may seem obvious, but do you still have the same issue if you
> statically define the mediatype to a fixed link speed and duplex?
> lots of interfaces have problems negotiating autoselect with
> switches, as protocols vary widely.  the blinking is indicative of
> autoselect setup woes...

This wasn't obvious for me! Thanks for the answer!

When I set the media by hand it showed 'active', but no data could be transmitted
(yellow link diode on switch, not blinking). I then pulled the switch with my home
lan from the wall and plugged my re0 instead - It worked!

So this seems to be the %$R#(@%*$ switch issue. The funny thing is, that with media
set manually (or sometimes with autoselect) everything works fine with this switch
(i have used it all day yesterday till evening without problem). Now, when i wait
some time with media manually set, it starts transmitting data and everything works fine.
Why does it happen? Why is it so unpredictible? Can it be fixed in software,
or should i throw the switch out the window and by a new one?

Thanks and best regards,

m.