Routes not deleted after link down

Michal Vanco vanco at satro.sk
Sun Jun 19 08:48:57 GMT 2005

On Sunday 19 June 2005 10:29, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:14:32PM +0200, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> J> Second, you may need a route daemon for this.  ospf is a well known
> J> canditate where convergence in case of lost link is a must.
>
> While an OSPF daemon may stop advertising the affected route to its
> neighbors, the kernel will still have the route installed and thus
> the box won't be able to contact other hosts on the connected net,
> while they are reachable via alternate pass.

Routing protocol should be responsible for removing affected routes from FIB.
For example quagga should remove all routes learned via particular ospf
neighbour when that neighbour is not reachable anymore due to link goes down.
But in case when no daemons are used (`static' and `connected' are also
`routing protocols'), kernel should be responsible for doing that.

> I've checked that Cisco routers remove route from FIB when interface
> link goes down. I haven't checked Junipers yet.

Junipers do the same. It is the only feasible behaviour for router.

> From my viewpoint, removing route (or marking it unusable) is a correct
> behavior for router. Not sure it is correct for desktop.

Sure.

> My vote is that we should implement this functionality and make it
> switchable via sysctl. I'd leave the default as is.

Agree.