NFS upgrading from 5.2.1->5.4

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:48:12 GMT 2005

On 6/14/05, Mars G. Miro <marsgmiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If the build machine and install machine were at the same -RELEASE
> > number, I don't believe you would have come across this problem.
> >
> I'm not sure I get you but the purpose of making the world in FreeBSD
> is ought to be able to upgrade across releases (some people even
> report upgrading from major releases, e.g 4.X to 5.X), albeit minor
> hurdles (like the one I've experienced).

Normally this would work, when the build machine and the install
machine are the same computer.  But when you NFS mount the the built
sources on another system it may or may not work.  For example you
wouldn't build the sources on a 5.x system and then NFS mount the
built sources to a 4.x system.  The reason is that the build system
custom tailors the build tools for the 5.x system, and they will most
likely not run on the 4.x system.

Scot