CARP and VLAN interfaces (5.4)

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 15 14:29:32 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:40:50PM +0100, Paul Civati wrote:
P> Philippe PEGON <Philippe.Pegon at crc.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
P>
P> > > Has anyone tested this?
P> >
P> > yes, it doesn't work, carp with vlan aren't supported on FreeBSD. There is
P> > a thread about that on freebsd-pf :
P> >
P> > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-pf/2005-May/001033.html
P>
P> Thanks for the pointer, the patch listed below fixes the problem.
P>
P> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2005-April/006997.html
P>
P> Could someone commit this to -STABLE, or is it not the 'correct' fix?

Yes. It's not really correct. A correct approach is already commited to HEAD.
Unfortunately, I can't MFC this because of ABI policy for RELENG_5 branch.

I would advice you to stay with the patch, since it works for you. I'd also
encourage you to move to 6.0-RELEASE, when first release candidates will be
coming out. I am going to use carp(4) over vlan(4) in 6.0-RELEASE in production,
so I will be testing this functionality when we will enter release candidate
phase of release cycle.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE