/usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh not working?

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Jun 14 18:19:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:43:55PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:58:36AM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> > > but his scripts don't use rc-ng, so this is pointless.
> > >
> > > they should just work if they end in .sh and are executable.
> >
> > And this is the million-dollar question: should they?  Two things
> > could be causing this behavior:
> >
> > a) old-style .sh scripts are not supported, Michael needs to rewrite them for rcNG
> > b) old-style .sh scripts are supported, Michael has some other system problem
> >
> > If a), fine.  If b), though, I need to really start digging.  Anyone
> > here know the definitive answer?
>
> I am fairly certain that the answer is b).
> Although old-style scripts seem to be discouraged these days, they are
> still supported as far as I can tell.  More than half of the scripts I
> have in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ are old-style (some installed by ports
> that have not been converted to rcNG, and some purely local scripts).
> The old-style scripts work fine for me (using 5.4-STABLE.)
>

> One possibility is that the system mistakes your old-style scripts for
> rcNG scripts and therefore handles them wrong - but this is just a wild
> guess.

It's b) and this guess is wrong because we don't do any detection of
rcorder compatable scripts yet.  See /etc/rc.d/localpkg for exactly how
the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d get run.

My suggestion would be to write up a single rc.d script that handles
everything using some combination of ifconfig_<if> style variables or a
config file.  Then you have only one script and you'll be ready to go
when we move to full rcordering (hopefully in 7.0).

-- Brooks