ACL not supported on 5.4?

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sat Jun 11 00:07:02 GMT 2005

I have a 5.4 install that I'm trying to use to experiment with ACL (and extended attributes). Handbook section 14.12.1 (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/fs-acl.html) has a few sample commands that I tried running. But I get operation not supported, like so:

17:02 bfoz at poseidon~>touch test
17:03 bfoz at poseidon~>ll test
-rw-r--r--  1 bfoz  user  0 Jun 10 17:03 test
17:03 bfoz at poseidon~>getfacl test
#file:test
#owner:1001
#group:1001
user::rw-
group::r--
other::r--
17:03 bfoz at poseidon~>setfacl -k test
setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported
17:03 bfoz at poseidon~>setfacl -b test
setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported

I tried doing the above as root, but the result was the same. I'm pretty sure this was a fresh install of 5.4 (its been awhile since I made this box) so it should have UFS2 by default and the kernel does in fact have UFS_ACL compiled in. What else do I need to do? How do I check to see if I really do have UFS2?

Thanks