How to configure FreeBSD for rebooting when kernel panic

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Fri Jun 10 10:23:59 GMT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

> Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>> You can't unmount your root file system.
>
>> Because of this it's possibly a good idea to have as minimal a root
>> partition system as possible, off the raid system, and very rarely changed,
>> so it's unlikely to get screwed up.
>
> Yes, i know. Root FS, and othser system FS's is on the other disk. RAID
> stripe have only public data.

You want a system where if the mounts (other than the root fs) fail, the
system will still be adminsterable.  To maintain remote access, you'd need
to make sure that all your basic login tools are on the root disk.  eg
sshd, root's default shell, etc.

Should be doable, but would be nice if it didn't involve as much custom
tinkering as I expect it would.

Andrew

--
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to
go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew at scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792

--
pgp encrypted mail welcome
keyid: 70F6C32D      keyserver: pgp.mit.edu