FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?GCC broken for amd64 ? (was Re: FreeBSD 5.4: Is it generally unstable?)

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Thu Jun 9 19:02:00 GMT 2005

Pete French wrote:
> > "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at flat.berklix.net> writes:
> > 	GCC 3.4.2 on 5.4-RELEASE has a bug for amd64,
> > 		I started avoiding that by putting
> > 			CFLAGS=              -O0
> > 		in /etc/make.conf
> > 		More info from:
> > 			Message from "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org>
> > 		of "Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:26:15 PDT."
> > 			 <20050602082615.GA36096 at dragon.NUXI.org>
>
> This worries me a lot, but I have not been able to locate the
> quoted email!

I searched my local personal archive of FreeBSD amd64 postings with
find & grep & found the item, then with that item, sorted mail
archive presentation on FreeBSD site, to now quote you

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2005-June/005107.html

> (how do you make the archives search on message ID?)

I dont know if that's possible.
I tried the message id into the search box on front page of freebsd site,
but it did not find what I wanted.

The 3 criteria one can sort for are:
thread:		[CALL FOR TESTERS] ReiserFS on non-i386 hardware patch
author:		David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
date:		Thu Jun 2 01:26:19 PDT 2005

> Does anyone have any,more information on this - I'd hate to start

I don't. I'm not a compiler person.

> cmmitting production code to a buggy compiler!
>
> -pcf.

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.