What to use to get remote display from a amd64 machine?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jun 6 22:26:10 GMT 2005

> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:20:41 +0100
> From: Dick Davies <rasputnik at hellooperator.net>
>
> * Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> [0616 23:16]:
> > > Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:11:14 +0200
> > > From: Claus Guttesen <kometen at gmail.com>
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

> > > What about 'ssh -X remote-machine'?
> >
> > 'ssh -Y remote-machine' is more likely to be useful on more recent
> > versions of ssh.
>
> Not if you're sshing into a multi-user machine, unless I've misunderstood
> what '-Y' does.

You understand fairly correctly. If the remote system is multi-user and
all users are not trusted (by you, personally and by others if it is
work related), -X should be used. The problem is that most X
apps won't run with -X. :-(  Even a simple xclock would not work for me.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)