filesystems not properly unmounted [OT]

Maxi Combina maxicombina at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:25:54 GMT 2005

>  > I do not seed the need of insult other OS.
May be you need to look more carefully. I am not talking _only_ about
this thread.
As I said, I dont wanna flame, just reflecting (or trying to :) )

>  > Even worse if the other OS is open source (as linux).
>
> Being open source doesn't mean that a piece of software is
> any good.  In fact, I've seen a lot of open source which
> is just plain crap.  (OK, now _this_ is an insult, but I
> didn't mention any specific software in particular.)
Totally agree.

> Well, I don't see any.  But everybody is free to have his
> own opinion.
Well, I insist: maybe you should look more carefully :)
Just to mention the first thing that comes to my mind: several linux
distros have achieved a difficult goal: ease of installation-use
combined with a stable system. I have no trouble with a "diffucult /
unix-like" OS, but a lot of people do. And this a _fact_.They dont
have time to spend learning to use a "dificult" OS. And I think that
if we want to tell more and more people (friends, family, goverment,
companies, etc) to move to an open source OS, we must do an effort. I
think that there are a lot of linux distros out there that are really
easy to use, and even more "friendly" or "beatiful" than windows.
I dont think that FreeBSD has achieved this. I dont think there is
need. FreeBSD is more suitable for a server station, but not for the
desktop. I use linux both as server and desktop with excelent results.
I am using FreeBSD since a few weeks ago, also with excelents resutls.
But I see it is not desktop oriented (I repeat, this seems ok for me.
FreeBSD is better for a server station, not for a desktop).
I dont think that there is an OS that is the best for all the
purposes. Use windows if you want to play the latest games. Use *BSD
if you want or need a really good unix. Use linux if ...... ( fill in
the blanks ;) )
Please let me know if you dont agree, and why.

Best regards,
Maxi