RAID-1 as back-up

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Fri Jun 3 22:36:38 GMT 2005

Hans F. Nordhaug on 2005-06-04 00:26:20 +0200:

> I would like to use RAID-1 as a back-up solution. If one of the disk
> breaks I would like my server to continue to run from the other
> disk.

Just as fair warning, you should not rely on RAID as a 'backup' like
you would rely on writing to removable media and storing off-site.  If
someone cracks your computer and you want to go back to known good
snapshot, you're out of luck; if you accidently overwrite something,
RAID won't help you.

> I'm running 5.3 - what do you recommend - gvinum, ccd, others? What
> is the definitive howto for the recommend solution.

You should use gmirror.  There's an excellent guide -
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/.  I've been using gmirror for
about half a year and have had no problems.