Panic on 5.4, 1 second uptime

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Jul 26 15:13:40 GMT 2005

Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Norberto Meijome wrote:
>
>> ( This is an exact copy of my post to -questions)
>> Hi all,
>> I am trying to install 5.4 on a box that's been running Linux. It's a
>> 2 year old 'Snap Appliance 4500' (
>> http://www.snapappliance.com/page.cfm?name=4500Main&nav=4500 ), with 4
>> x 120 GB EIDE, P4, 512 Mb.
>>
>> As soon as I try to load the kernel I get :
>> --- (copied by hand )
>> Fatal trap 10: trace trap while in vm86 mode
>> instruction pointer = 0xf000:0xf842
>> stack pointer        = 0x0:0xff8
>> frame pointer       = 0x0:0x0
>> code segment      = base 0x330026, limit 0x1, type 0x9
>>                         = DPL 3, pres 1 def32 0, fram 0
>> processor eflags  = interrupt enabled, vm86, IOPL=0
>> current process   = 0 ()
>> trap number        = 10
>> panic : trace trap
>> uptime : 1 s
>> -------------
>>
>> Every time, the same pointers / segments. This happens right after the
>> kernel memory addresses (data? segment? pls excuse my ignorance) show
>> after pressing an option in the boot menu.
>

> Can you boot in verbose mode and try and get a few of the lines before
> the lines you quoted?  Knowing roughly where in the boot process this
> happens will probably greatly help.
Hi Gavin,
it dies EXACTLY before any of the boot info comes up. Step by step:

  - bootloader : ok
  - boot menu : ok
  - select any option (except 6, but any cmd from there that will take
me attempt to boot will simply panic).
  - line in same gray coloured text comes up, (from memory, kernel
0x..., segment 0x.... etc). as soon as that finishes...
  - font changes to bright white. not 1 line of detection comes up, and
the panic happens.

I have not been able to boot any freebsd combo. tried disabling anything
that I could, no luck. not even the installer. disabled acpi, DMA, safe
mode, single user. zilch

I hope that is something to go by.

I'll take the box apart tomorrow to see what precise motherboard it is.
Plan B is gentoo :(

thanks for any pointers you / others can give :)

Cheers,
Beto