make -j as a stress test (was: Re: Quality of FreeBSD) [WARNING - 6.0-BETA1 still hosed!]

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sun Jul 24 18:13:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 07:58:20PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 11:00:55PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> Should not there be an EXPLICIT note in the release notes for hardware that
>> this chipset WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY?
>
> It does seem to work for many users, or there would be much complaints about
> it on the mailing lists.

There are more than a couple - how many people can't even BOOT?  We've
heard a few of those too.....

For single-disk machines under light load, it appears to work - most of
the time.

> > Or perhaps better, the solution is to put the fix from 1.50 into ATA-NG,
> > eh (and recommend for performance reasons to use something else in the
> > release notes....)
> >
> > Finally, this begs an obvious further question - since my original PR was
> > opened in February of this year, if there is a KNOWN incompatability with
> > this chipset, why is the PR still open, rather than a response being
> > posted back ("hardware unsupported") AND the driver flags/init for that
> > chipset being either removed or a STRONG warning printed when it is
> > identified on boot?
> >
> > That DOES appear to be the right choice, assuming the fixes that sos
> > committed back in '03 can't be rolled forward into ATA-NG.....   If they
> > CAN, then how about it?  I mean, c'mon - this change was all of three
> > lines of code added, and one removed!
>
> As I said: You are already running with those fixes - and they apparently
> don't fix your problems.
>
> Most likely the bug you have run into is difficult or impossible to
> reproduce on other hardware than the particular combination you are using.

Considering that I've had zero attempts at communication with me regarding
the PR, except for one "me too" posted to it, and there has also been no
note posted to the PR by any of the developers (e.g. "unable to
reproduce"), an equally-likely scenario is that there has been no
effort made to reproduce (and fix) it.....

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://homecuda.com		Emerald Coast: Buy / sell homes, cars, boats!