SMP support maturity? AMD64x2 or FX-57?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Jul 23 02:53:06 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:27:30PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Frank Mayhar, and lo! it spake thus:

> Sigh.  You know, I've been running with two processors since 4.1 or
> thereabouts.  Sure, the BGL scheme is inefficient as far as the
> kernel itself is concerned, but for compute-bound user processes it
> worked just fine.  Naturally I avoided 5.0/1/2 for my production
> boxen, waiting for the complete overhaul of SMP to stabilize, but
> when I booted 5.3, everything was fine and I haven't looked back.

This system (this one, right here, that I'm typing on) is dual
processor, and I installed it fresh with 4-CURRENT just after RELENG_3
was branched.  Except for an excursion on RELENG_5, it's always run
-CURRENT.  Sometimes I'd go a year without updating, sometimes a week.
It's running -CURRENT from a couple weeks ago now.  Sometimes it's a
bit twitchy, but I think running X has a whole lot to do with that,
since MP systems under heavier loads without X would do just peachy
with the exact same build that was flaky here.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net