Quality of FreeBSD

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:24:41 GMT 2005

On 7/21/05, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Joao Barros wrote:
>
> > I was hopping for you to mention user's feedback. I started this thread
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-July/052288.html
> > back with SNAP004. The problem is still present in BETA1. I haven't seen
> > any more advances in the thread, and I know this must be a very
> > localized issue, and that everyone is pretty busy with the upcoming
> > release but I wouldn't want this issue forgotten. Should I submit a PR?
> > As this is a kernel issue, I'm pretty much stuck to 5, although I would
> > prefer start using 6.
>
> I would suggest always filling a PR if you worry the problem is going to
> get lost.  While PR's can also get lost, they tend to persist more than
> old e-mails.
>
> There are two likely causes of problems:
>
> (1) amr driver problems
> (2) General PCI/interrupt/ACPI/APIC problems

I suspect the 2nd

> The last few functional changes to amr were by Paull Saab (ps@) and Scott
> Long (scottl@), and I'd be tempted to try to chase that option first.

Scott replied:

The kernel isn't hung, it's just forever waiting for an interrupt from
the amr card that it'll never get.  Again, this is almost certainly an
interrupt routing problem, so please contact John Baldwin
<jhb at freebsd.org> and provide him your details.

Scott

>  The first question to answer is whether you can get into the debugger using a
> console or serial break, as that will tell us what sort of "hang" you're
> seeing.
>
> You can find detailed instructions for kernel debugging in the handbook.
> Try adding BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, KDB, and KDB as a first step, and see if a
> break gets you to the debugger or not.  If you can get into the debugger,
> submit the information to the PR, forward me the PR receipt, and I'll try
> assigning it to one of the above and see if we can get someone to take
> some interest in it.

After reading this
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-July/052434.html
I breaked into the debugger and posted this
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-July/052489.html
Is the information there suficient to open a PR?

> If you can't get into the debugger, it's more likely an interrupt/etc
> problem.  We might try John Baldwin (jhb@) as a possible first contact.

John started debugging this with another person with similar problems
on 5 and the debugging never got to 6 (no feedback from the other
person): http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-July/052727.html