HELP --a question on LOCALE

loader loader at freebsdmall.com
Wed Jul 20 10:49:34 GMT 2005

"Li Ruijiang" <lithium7456 at hotmail.com> writes:

> I am a chinese user,and today I upgraded my FreeBSD system from 5.3
> release to 6.0
> all is successful except that I can not input chinese.
> The XIM needs two environment variables:LANG and LC_ALL
> so I export them to zh_CN.GBK in my .xinitrc file
> when the X was started I tested it using "echo $LANG"and "echo
> $LC_ALL".I got the right response.
>
> But when when I type "locale", I got a response like this:
>   LANG=zh_CN.GBK
>   LC_CTYPE="C"
>   LC_COLLATE="C"
>   LC_TIME="C"
>   LC_NUMERIC="C"
>   LC_MONETARY="C"
>   LC_MESSAGES="C"
>   LC_ALL=zh_CN.GBK
>

> So LC_CTYPE and LC_* were not modified
>
> then I "export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK"
> when I "echo $LC_CTYPE" it said "zh_CN.GBK"
> when I "locale" the result did not change at all.
>
> I have installed "localedata-5.4" and set PATH_LOCALE
> when I "locale -a"
> the result contains zh_CN.GBK
>
> What should I do???
> Thank you very much.

I'm running 6.0-BETA1 and recompiled all the ports installed in system.
I just ran
setenv LC_CTYPE zh_CN.GB2312
setenv XMODIFIERS @im=fcitx
fcitx &
and ran some applications like emacs, mlterm, aterm... they all worked for me.

Then I tried to set the LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.GBK, the XIM still working. Only
the characters can't be displayed correct, since I only have the X core fonts
installed. And I didn't installed misc/localedata.

Maybe you can have a try to recompile the applications which you want to
use XIM with?

Regards,
loader