dangerous situation with shutdown process

Jayton Garnett jay at codegurus.org
Mon Jul 18 18:36:22 GMT 2005

Oliver Fromme wrote:

>Definitely not.  When I compare Windows XP and FreeBSD on
>the same hardware (notebook with ATA disk), then Windows'
>shutdown process is a lot faster than FreeBSD's.  In fact,
>when I shut it down under XP for the first time, the power
>was off so quickly that I thought someting must have gone
>wrong.  But everything was OK and normal.

Yes XP's shutdown time is quicker on a fresh install, but give it a few
weeks or months (depending on how you use XP)
and you will notice that the shutdown time increases. Right now my XP
pro takes about 20 or more seconds to shutdown.
I am sure this is due to the MFT under a NTFS installation, FreeBSD does
not appear to have this problem over extended
use, and there is no way of stopping the MTF growth problem (as far as I
know)

--
Kind regards,
Jayton Garnett