Today's RELENG_5_4 and 'lock cmpxchgl'

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Fri Jul 15 09:40:31 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:44:04PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > The -CURRENT traces are very different from these, but I don't have
> > comconsole on the -CURRENT machine.
>
> Thanks.

Since I get plenty of opportunities to fiddle in the debugger now,
because this happens a lot (we use screen a lot), tell me if anyone
needs any specific info from the debugger prompt.

Am I really the only one seeing this ? Or has someone been able to
reproduce it yet ?

> > Anyway, if people are having problems reproducing this, I'd like to
> > know. I don't have a single RELENG_5 or 6 machine that withstands the
> > 'screen-test'...
>
> This will hopefully be very useful in investigating and developing a
> fix for the problem, at least on 6.0 (others have speculated that the
> problem may be too difficult to fix in the 5.x branch).

That sounds too scary to go into. Besides: it has worked on older
FreeBSD 5.x systems...

Perhaps 'others' could 'speculate' on list, so we might know why
they're thinking that ? :-P

Should SMP machines revert to FreeBSD 4.x in the mean time ? :-(

Marc