Backup solution needed

lars lars at gmx.at
Thu Jul 7 18:22:34 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I need to find a backup solution for following scenario:

4 Windows (2003 and SBS 2003) and 1 Mac OS X servers,
6 Windows XP Pro clients.

Daily backup of 3 MS SQL Databases and other files,
appr. total size is 60 GB.

Backup must happen automatically with near zero interaction by human.
If a tape needs to be changed I want a message sent to me.

Restore must be feasible by non-technical people;
half a page of _easy_ instructions must be enough to enable the reader
to do a functional restore, without calling me in my holidays.

(In this situation the server is still running and functional,
  only the backed up files or databases are corrupted.)

I thought of putting in a FreeBSD box with an attached tape drive
and bacula as software.

If you agree with this idea, is there a tape drive and SCSI controller
you recommend?

Have you got any experience you might want to share?

If you don't agree with this solution, do you have a better one?

The budget is appr. EUR 1500.- and 10 days to set it up.
Preferrably no recurring costs apart from backup media and
maintenance of the server.

Many thanks in advance,
lars.