Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x ... possible?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Jul 7 17:05:36 GMT 2005

In the last episode (Jul 07), Marc G. Fournier said:
> Without having to rebuild from scratch, is this something that is
> possible, or have the changes become so great as to make this
> undesirable?

That's what the Upgrade menu item in sysinstall is for :)  It'll save a
copy of /etc to a safe place then copy the passwd file back after the
install.  You'll want to rebuild all your ports, but most should still
work until you do.  A fresh install is always cleaner, but I've
upgraded some of my servers from 2.2.8 -> 4.* -> 5.* with no problems.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com