Today's RELENG_5_4 and 'lock cmpxchgl'

Philippe PEGON Philippe.Pegon at crc.u-strasbg.fr
Sun Jul 3 08:32:35 GMT 2005

Kris Kennaway a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:03:35PM +0200, Marc Olzheim wrote:

>>>Somehow I think I solved this last time by activating 'INVARIANTS'...
>>>I'll try that now.
>>
>>Let's paraphrase:
>>
>>I think i solved this last time by activating 'INVARIANTS'...
>>
>>Anyway, tried that and yes, it didn't crash in the last few hours, so I
>>guess it works. Without INVARIANTS, it crashed within seconds.
>>
>>On the downside, my Gigabit performance dropped from 99 MB/sec to 80
>>MB/sec because of INVARIANTS.
>

> The panic appears to be an instance of a known bug in 5.4 (and
> INVARIANTS will not fix it, but may just delay the inevitable by
> changing timings).  See Doug White's recent emails which point to a
> patch you should test.

If you think about this mail :

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-stable/2005-June/016165.html

and follow the thread, you will see that this patch doesn't solve the problem.
The last mail which I can see from doug white about this problem is :

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-stable/2005-June/016495.html

for the moment, it seems that there is no solution for 5.x

--
Philippe PEGON