SATA Problems - ATA_Identify timeout ERROR - using Tyan S5350

Tony Byrne freebsd-current at byrnehq.com
Fri Jul 1 16:12:18 GMT 2005

Hello Dominic,

DM> Do you see them with ATA mkIII as well?

I tried the ATA mkIII patches a few weeks ago on one of servers, which
was suffering DMA TIMEOUTs, but they made no difference.

This problem may only occur with certain combinations of controller
and SATA hard drive. For example, I have a workstation with an ICH5
controller which had been frequently emitting TIMEOUT messages when it
had a 80Gb 7200k Seagate Barracuda SATA drive installed. As a test
this afternoon, I swapped out the Seagate for a new 250Gb Western
Digital SATA drive, and installed 5.4 RELEASE. The machine is now in
the process of building world, and I've yet to see any TIMEOUTs.

Regards,

Tony.

--
Tony Byrne