SATA Problems - ATA_Identify timeout ERROR - using Tyan S5350 with FreeBSD 5.4

Alan Jay alan at cyclopsvision.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 14:39:10 GMT 2005

I thought that as well.  My machine is using a Tyan motherbaord with the Intel
6300SEB and I thought that was a reasnably conservative choice of motherboard.

I don't know if this is a hint not to use SATA/IDE controllers any more but
there are lots of occasions when it is more than enough power to be going on
with.

What is annoying is that there doesn't seem to be enough in the way of problem
reports to say this is not supported so we know we are on to a loosing streak
and need to find an alternate type of hardware.

Does anyone know if the "Adaptec AIC-8110 SATA I" controller, which Tyan
offer, as an add on module is supported.  The release notes which I have
checked do not mention this number.  But hten this is probably a part number
and not the chip number.

Thanks.