Possible exploit in 5.4-STABLE

Argelo, Jorn jorn_argelo at epson-europe.com
Fri Jul 1 13:50:25 GMT 2005

Hi all,

My site has been cracked yesterday (don't worry it's not about that) and
the cracker uploaded a script to delete stuff. Anyway, not important.
The script contained a link to a russian site.

This site, of course (almost) completely in Russian, had a file to gain
root access with a modified su utility. It's maybe not so useful for me
to attach the binary, but I'll do it anyway because I don't have
anything else but that and a readme file. It didn't seem to work (out of
the box) with 5.4-RELEASE though.

This is a translation from babelfish:

Plain replacement of "standard" su for FreeBSD. It makes it possible to
become any user (inc. root) with the introduction of any password. For
this necessary to neglect su with the option "-!". with the use of this
option does not conduct ravine- files. Was tested on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.

My apologies if I am sending in something completely useless and not
important, but I figured it wouldn't hurt just to make sure.

Cheers,

Jorn.