Problems with 5.x

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 1 07:58:06 GMT 2005

Hi Matt,

On Thu, 2005-Jun-30 11:57:38 -0400, Matt Emmerton wrote:
>First, I tried to install 5.2. Booting from CD, BTX would halt with a
>register dump.

There are some people around who can read BTX dumps.  Any chance of
you posting it?

The CD boot mode was changed from "floppy emulation" mode in 4.x to
"no emulation" mode in 5.x (for slightly more details, see the '-b'
and '-no-emul-boot' options to mkisofs).  At a guess, it looks like
your BIOS doesn't handle the latter very well.

My two suggestions are:
1) A BIOS upgrade.
   If your BIOS is flashable, check out the vendor's website.
2) Boot from physical floppies.
   The images are in the 'floppies' directory on the CD-ROM.

I presume you've satisfied yourself that the CD-ROMs aren't corrupt.
(Unlikely but possible).

You might have to experiment with dis/enabling ACPI to get things working.

>Next, I installed 4.10 (which installs fine) and tried to cvsup to -stable,
>but had problems with buildworld.

Generally, upgrading to version N from version N-1 is only supported
from the latest version of N-1, so you might need to upgrade your 4.10
system to 4-STABLE first.  Alternatively, you will need to post more
details (cut-and-paste) of the errors you are getting.

--
Peter Jeremy