READ_DMA timeouts caused by ALI southbridge (5.3-STABLE)

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Sun Jan 30 13:28:12 PST 2005

Pertti Kosunen wrote:
> My READ_DMA timeout problem with 160GB disk partitially solved. Asus
> A7A266 southbridge (ALi 1535D+) don't support DMA with LBA48. This is
> somehow worked around with Windows drivers, so is same possible in
> FreeBSD also?

I guess their "workaround" is to use PIO mode to access the portions
that need 48bit access. There is currently no provision in ATA for doing
this on a "quirk" basis, but that could be added at some time. I'll
stick it on my TODO list...

--

-Søren