[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Jan 30 00:16:33 PST 2005

> While I agree that correct ports shouldn't be affected, I think that this
> will make a difference in how FreeBSD is looked at as a whole.  I know that
> when I write stuff for other people in perl, it is presumed that perl is in
> /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin because most of these people are running some
> Linux distribution.  I also thought that is was requested to have perl in
> /usr/bin?

I agree, having perl available in /usr/bin is one of the nice points of
FreeBSD.

I see strong reactions against removing the /usr/bin symlinks in 5.x.
Good, presumably they will be allowed to stay. But I would also like to
keep them for 6.x. As others have pointed out, removing those symlinks
would create a lot of hassle for the users, for very little gain.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no