Lock up problems with 5.3-STABLE (was: Cannot build kernel with options WITNESS)

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 20:48:44 PST 2005

I would suspect the jail code at this point here is my kernel config
for my smp machine

Dual Athlon-mp
40 gig ide hd
1024 Ram
xl0 nic device 100mbit fdx

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           WEB1

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for devices.

options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
#options        INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
#options        NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
#options        NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
#options        NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
#options        MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extension
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
#options        AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
#options        AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device          apic            # I/O APIC
options         SMP             # SMP

# Bus support.  Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI Controllers
#device         ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
#device         ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
#device         ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
#device         amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
#device         isp             # Qlogic family
#device         mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
#device         ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
#device         sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets + those of `
ncr')
#device         trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters

#device         adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
#device         adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
#device         aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
#device         aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
#device         bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI adapters

#device         ncv             # NCR 53C500
#device         nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
#device         stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50

# SCSI peripherals
#device         scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
#device         ch              # SCSI media changers
#device         da              # Direct Access (disks)
#device         sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device         cd              # CD
#device         pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
#device         ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
#device         amr             # AMI MegaRAID
#device         asr             # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID
#device         ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
#device         dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV - See NOTES for options
#device         hptmv           # Highpoint RocketRAID 182x
#device         iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
#device         ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
#device         mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
#device         twa             # 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA RAID

# RAID controllers
#device         aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
#device         aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)
#device         ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
#device         mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
#device         pst             # Promise Supertrak SX6000
#device         twe             # 3ware ATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

#device         splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device         vt
#options        XSERVER         # support for X server on a vt console
#options        FAT_CURSOR      # start with block cursor

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
device          cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
device          pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
device          cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to the sio and/or ppc drivers):
#device         puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
#device         de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
#device         em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
#device         ixgb            # Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
#device         txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
#device         vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
#device         bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Ethernet
#device         bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
#device         dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
#device         fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
#device         lge             # Level 1 LXT1001 gigabit ethernet
#device         nge             # NatSemi DP83820 gigabit ethernet
#device         pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 (precedence over 'lnc'
)
#device         re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
#device         rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
#device         sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
#device         sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
#device         sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x & SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
#device         ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
#device         ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit Ethernet
#device         tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
#device         tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
#device         vge             # VIA VT612x gigabit ethernet
#device         vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
#device         wb              # Winbond W89C840F
device          xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.  pccard NICs included.
#device         cs              # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
#device         ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
#device         ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
#device         ep              # Etherlink III based cards
#device         fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
#device         ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc.
#device         lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
#device         sn              # SMC's 9000 series of Ethernet chips
#device         xe              # Xircom pccard Ethernet

# ISA devices that use the old ISA shims
#device         le

# Wireless NIC cards
#device         wlan            # 802.11 support
#device         an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device         awi             # BayStack 660 and others
#device         wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device         wl              # Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          mem             # Memory and kernel memory devices
device          io              # I/O device
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
#device         sl              # Kernel SLIP
#device         ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device          snp             # snoop device

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
#device         umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
#device         ums             # Mouse
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
#device         uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
#device         aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
#device         axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
#device         cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
#device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
#device         rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet

# FireWire support
#device         firewire        # FireWire bus code
#device         sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
#device         fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=50
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPSTEALTH               #support for stealth forwarding
options         DUMMYNET
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
#options         PREEMPTION
options         HZ=1000
options         QUOTA
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP

and dmesg.boot

FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 #1: Sat Jan 22 02:43:33 UTC 2005
    root at web1.hostingfreak.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEB1
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) MP 2000+ (1666.73-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x662  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CM
OV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
  AMD Features=0xc0480000<MP,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>
real memory  = 1073741824 (1024 MB)
avail memory = 1045397504 (996 MB)
MPTable: <ASUS     PROD00000000>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
ioapic0: Assuming intbase of 0
ioapic0 <Version 1.1> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
npx0: [FAST]
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
pcib0: <MPTable Host-PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
agp0: <AMD 762 host to AGP bridge> port 0xe800-0xe803 mem 0xfb800000-0xfb800fff,
0xfc000000-0xfdffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
pcib1: <MPTable PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <display, VGA> at device 5.0 (no driver attached)
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <AMD 768 UDMA100 controller> port 0xd800-0xd80f,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x3f6
,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: channel #0 on atapci0
ata1: channel #1 on atapci0
pci0: <bridge, PCI-unknown> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
xl0: <3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0xd400-0xd47f mem 0xf8000000-0xf800
007f irq 16 at device 8.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on xl0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:e0:18:da:fa:c1
pcib2: <MPTable PCI-PCI bridge> at device 16.0 on pci0
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
cpu0 on motherboard
cpu1 on motherboard
orm0: <ISA Option ROM> at iomem 0xc0000-0xc7fff on isa0
pmtimer0 on isa0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x64,0x60 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: parallel port not found.
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
ipfw2 initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to acc
ept, logging limited to 50 packets/entry by default
ad0: 39083MB <Maxtor 5T040H4/TAH71DP0> [79408/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: CDROM <GCR-8521B/1.00> at ata1-master PIO4
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

Only thing that concerns me with my config is I see no "SMP: AP CPU #2
Launched!" is this normal for a 2 cpu machine?  The box is stable.

4:48AM  up 4 days, 26 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
5.3-RELEASE-p5

Chris