watchdogd panic when shutdown -p

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Jan 24 10:29:38 PST 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 3:11 AM, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> kernel will reset the machine. Best would be if I never see watchdog in
> action but I'm seeing a panic message after some interrupt statistics
> (see
> below) and the machine doesn't power off (like it does without
> watchdogd
> enabled).

Interesting... Can you compare your experience with mine as described
in PR 71800?

I hadn't attributed this to the watchdog.  I'll try that, but I have
two boxes with watchdog enabled (FreeBSD 5.3 and 5.2.1) which don't
exhibit any failure to shutdown, and I have two boxes with 5.3 that do
exhibit (one ever since 5.3 BETA) the kernel IRQ messages on any type
of shutdown.  All have the watchdog on.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806