loader.conf examples

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sun Jan 23 09:34:27 PST 2005

--On Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:22 AM -0500 Matt Herzog <msh at blisses.org>
wrote:

> I'm confused about how and why modules are built and (seemingly
> loaded without my having specified any to load) when I have not
> told my kernel conf file to build anything as a module. As a former
> NetBSD user, I had expected a monolitic kernel . . .

You can still run a monolithic kernel as I do.  You can also use NO_MODULES
as a make option to prevent the build and installation of modules.  See
also MODULES_OVERRIDE is /sys/conf/NOTES.

If you never specified a module to load, then no modules should be loaded.
(Ref kldstat)  Maybe the default behavior has changed.  I wouldn't know
though since I don't use the default behavior.

There are two ways to build a kernel.  There is 'make buildkernel' and
there is 'config KERNEL; make depend; make' Take care which options apply
to which method.

Later,
Jason C. Wells