AAAA queries (was: Realtek 8139 (rl) very poor performance)

ImobachGonzález Sosa imobachgs at banot.net
Sat Jan 22 11:07:53 PST 2005

> Have you used dig(1) or other diagnostic tools to confirm that your DNS
> server is really not handling AAAA queries? This is really a a sign that
> the DNS server is seriously broken. AAAA has been a standard for years
> and any server that does not understand it is probably in very bad
> shape.

Thanks for your answer. I followed your advice, and that are the facts:

Using "dig hostname @my-isp-dnsserver A" seems to work pretty fine. However,
if I type: "dig hostname @my-isp-dnsserver AAAA" sometimes miss (timeout)
and, when it works, I get different results (no ip address, only pointer to
an authoritative DNS server).

I've also done some tests using lynx (ipv6) and links (only ipv4). When I use
links, it always works: it performs and "A" query and gets a result back.
Then, the HTTP conversation starts.

However, using lynx, it performs first of all an AAAA query. When it works
(not always do), I get a response but no IP address into that response. Then,
sometimes it tries again with an A query, and then works. However, timeouts
are killin' my patience :/

I've tested this issue with two different name servers. Could I confirm that
is a DNS server's fault? Is my fault? Does exist any workaround about it?

Thank you.

--
Imobach González Sosa
imobachgs en banot punto net