Realtek 8139 (rl) very poor performance
gstewart at bonivet.net
Thu Jan 20 09:32:49 PST 2005
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:08:16 -0500 (EST), Vladimir Pianykh
<vlad at alpha.VL7.net> wrote:
> I had some problems with "rl" cards with "auto" media.
You're probably not the only one.
Note this comment from sys/pci/if_rl.c
* The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is
* probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
* exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master
* DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
* gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.
G. Stewart - gstewart at bonivet.net
Sign spotted outside a second hand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC.
WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the freebsd-stable