ciss(4) adapter not recognized (Compaq/HP Smart Array 6i/64xx)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 20 07:13:07 PST 2005

Hi,

We've got a new Compaq/HP server machine, but there are
problems installing FreeBSD because the RAID controller
is not recognized.  It's a CISS 6i (according to the
specs) which I expected to be recognized by the ciss(4)
driver.  But unfortunately, it isn't.

This is the output from dmesg:

pci2: <unknown card> (vendor=0x0e11, dev=0x0046) at 1.0 irq 5

According to pciids.sourceforge.net, 0e11 is Compaq, and
0046 is their ID for the Smart Array 64xx.  It is not in
the list of supported IDS in src/sys/dev/ciss/ciss.c.

Would it work to just add that ID to the list, compile a
kernel, and then use that kernel to boot the installation?

(I don't have time for many experiments, because the box
is installed in a computing centre which is not exactly
nearby.  That's why I'm asking here first, instead of just
trying to insert that ID in the source.)

I'm wondering if the device ID is really correct.  All the
other IDs in the ciss.c source are in the 0x40XX range.
0x0046 seems pretty odd.

Also, there's a CISS_BOARD flag associated with each of the
devices.  Should I set it to SA5 or SA5B for the new ID?
(My guess would be SA5, but I could be wrong.)

Any hints and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I'm using 4-stable, but I checked the CVS repository
and verified that the device ID is neither in 5-stable nor
HEAD.  Searching for this device in the list archives gave
zero hits.

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe