Very large directory

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 20 03:30:33 PST 2005

Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:
 > On Wed, 2005-Jan-19 21:30:53 -0600, Phillip Salzman wrote:
 > > They've been running for a little while now - and recently we've noticed a
 > > lot of disk space disappearing.  Shortly after that, a simple du into our
 > > /var/spool returned a not so nice error:
 > >
 > >       du: fts_read: Cannot allocate memory
 > >
 > > No matter what command I run on that directory, I just don't seem to have
 > > enough available resources  to show the files let alone delete them (echo *,
 > > ls, find, rm -rf, etc.)
 >
 > I suspect you will need to write something that uses dirent(3) to scan
 > the offending directory and delete (or whatever) the files one by one.
 >
 > Skeleton code (in perl) would look like:
 > [...]

I would suggest trying this simple hack:

cd /var/spool/directory ; cat . | strings | xargs rm -f

It's a dirty hack, but might work, if the file names in
that directory aren't too strange (no spaces etc.).

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell