Bad disk or kernel (ATA Driver) problem? - SOLVED

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Jan 19 19:17:46 PST 2005

I have had spectacularly bad luck with Maxtor SATA drives.  I've already
RMA'd 4 of 8 drives and have 2 more waiting to go back.  1 was DOA, the
rest failed completely while in operation (typically locking up the
machine).  These were all Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y160M0 160GB Serial
ATA drives. After testing for power, cables, disk controller,
motherboard, and other potential reasons I've decided the drives were
just faulty and have switched to another vendor.

	Sam