poor sound quality in 5.3 stable

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Jan 19 08:10:09 PST 2005

Olivier Certner said:
>  Hi,
>
>  Do you mean that the sound seems unclear all the time?
>
>  I've also had some problems with sound on my FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE, but a
> different kind of. Sometimes I hear crakings while playing mp3 files with
> XMMS, although my computer's load is very low. I use "snd_emu10k1" sound
> module as you do with a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.
>
>  There is another driver that may be worth trying here:
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/. I'll give it a pick when I get more
> time.
>
>  Cheers,

I too had problems with a SoundBlaster Live card on a workstation running
5.2.1. Sometimes the sound was nice and clean, but most of the time it was
just horrible. Nothing I did had any noticable effect and the mailing lists
unusually quiet on the issue, so I gave up. The emu10k1 cards are the best you
can buy in their price range, and I didn't want to replace it. Since I needed
the machine for sound work (recording and MIDI), I was forced to put Gentoo on
it. YMMV.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com