out of swap space

Vlad m at alpha.VL7.net
Mon Jan 17 12:55:54 PST 2005

Hi!

VERSION:
I've got a problem with FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE cvsup'ed at Dec 20 2004:
It has customized kernel - just a cleaned up GENERIC.

I have some programmers on php on my testing server. There are no
classes in /etc/login.conf except "default".

PROBLEM:
When system running out of memory, it's just hang, no more ssh, no
ping responds - only "reset" button.

I've fixed it by customizing "daemon" class, but on 4.10-Stable,
system killed processes like this without any classes, with message
like this: "out of swap space: killed SOME_PID (httpd)"

This feature was added after about 4.5-release.

Do you have any ideas what's up with this great part of the system?

Thanks in advance.

Vlad.