4.11 + Xorg mga/dri problem

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Jan 17 09:51:57 PST 2005

> What hardware are you on? The radeon driver had 64-bit issues on
> amd64. Maybe Matrox has a similar problem?

It's just straight i386 (aP4) - though I am interested in what you
say above, as I also have an amd64 machine running 5-STABLE with
a Radeon which also will not do drm for love nor money! Got any
references for that ?

> Not only do you have to enable the "dri" option, you should also have a
> DRI section, like:

Well, I didnt have, but I added one in. Same result - hang and reboot
required.

> Do the /dev/dri/card* devices actually exist?

Yup.

> Have a look at  /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and see what it says about
> dri/drm. Look for things like "drmOpenDevice", "[drm]" and "[dri]", and
> for the string "direct rendering". If it says "direct rendering
> enabled", then dri works.

There are no references to either dri or drm in the logfiles. Will the
logfile actually be written if the X server doesnt startup properly though ?

Thanks for the advice.

-pcf.